Dawn Fortune MAR
Reflexology is non invasive and a popular alternative therapy. It promotes relaxation, improves circulation, reduces pain, soothes tired feet, and encourages overall healing.
Reflexology also called zone therapy is a form of complementary medicine and involves a method of treatment using massage to reflex areas found in the feet and the hands. Most commonly, the feet are used as the area to be treated as the feet are very sensitive.
In the feet, there are reflex areas corresponding to all the parts of the body and these areas are arranged in such a way as to form a map of the body in the feet with the right foot corresponding to the right side of the body and the left foot corresponding to the left side of the body. By having the whole body represented in the feet, Reflexology offers a means of treating the whole body and treating the body as a whole which allows not only the symptoms to be treated but also the causes of the symptoms.
Reflexology is closely related to acupuncture and has been used for several thousand years and is known to have been practised in a similar manner by the Chinese and the Egyptians.
Reflexology does not claim to be a 'cure-all' but numerous different disorders have been successfully treated by this method. These disorders include:
- Migraines /Tension Headaches
- Sinus Problems
- Hormonal Imbalances including PMS
- Breathing Disorders
- Digestive Problems
- Circulatory Problems
- Back Problems
- Tension & Stress Related Conditions
- Sports injuries
The benefits of reflexology are:
- Massaging or pressing each reflex area can stimulate the flow of energy, blood, nutrients and nerve impulses to the corresponding body zone and thereby relieve ailments in that zone.
- Reduces stress levels, tension and induces deep relaxation
- Improves circulation
- Cleanses the body of toxins and impurities
- Normalises and balances the whole of the body
- Revitalises energy
- Helps to relieve pain by releasing the body’s own endorphins
- Helps unblock nerve channels
- Improves the neural pathway’s communication
- It is a preventative care
Reflexology is a wonderful treatment to experience, can be most beneficial and is also a very relaxing therapy